As Millfield School prepares for autumn we take a look at the School’s well produced website and choose a couple of items of importance to anyone wanting to know more about Millfield
The School Ethos
- To have the skills to work alone and be part of a group;
- To give all the children the confidence to believe in themselves, so that they realise their full potential.
- To learn about, use and respect our local area, and the people who live in it.
- For staff and children to see the value of the outdoor environment as an extension to the classroom.
- To have fun and enjoy our learning.
The School Curriculum
Our aims are translated into action through a carefully designed and balanced curriculum. Each member of staff participates in its overall design and contributes his/her expertise, interests and talents to its development.
The curriculum will serve to develop the pupil as an individual, as a member of society and as a member of the community.
Work is usually arranged around themes/topics and in the course of the year will cover the following:
- English – following the National Literacy Strategy
- Maths – following the National Numeracy Strategy
- ICT (Information and Communication Technology)
- Design technology
- PE (Physical Education)
- RE (Religious Education)
- PHSE (Personal, Health and Social Education)
- Sex Education
We aim to provide a stimulating curriculum that is both relevant and balanced. The National Curriculum sets out targets or expectations for different year groups. Our curriculum is planned to meet those targets. Work is carefully planned to meet the needs of individual children so that each stage of learning is matched to their ability and maturity.
The school has a Curriculum Map that outlines what your child will study each year, this is available for inspection on request. At the beginning of each term, a curriculum summary will be provided. If you would like to know more about what you child is learning, please ask the class teacher who will be happy to share their plans with you.
In the reception class the areas covered relate to the Government Early Learning Goals for the early years – again copies of these can be viewed in school.
You can find more information at www.millfieldprimaryschool.co.uk