As the weather brightens up and the sunshine starts brightening our weeks, we welcome the longer, brighter nights and the opportunity to enjoy summer days and nights in the garden.
When powering up your BBQ’s and putting out the garden furniture for the summer season, be sure to take note of our top tips to ensure you have a fun and safe summer in the garden.
- If cooking outdoors, always check BBQs over after winter storage. Keep them on level ground and ensure they are sited away from sheds, fences, overhanging foliage and property.
- Keep children and garden games well away from the cooking area and never leave the barbecue unattended.
- If you have a bonfire, build it well away from buildings, tents or other flammable objects and make sure it is properly out when you leave.
- When out in the countryside, extinguish cigarettes properly and dispose of them responsibly – never throw a lit cigarette into a field or wooded area.
- Don’t forget to stay safe around our county’s waterways and if you see someone in trouble in water, call 999 immediately with clear details of your location.
- When out camping or using a tent, never use candles inside or nearby and always discourage smoking nearby. Never cook inside a tent.
For the latest news, incidents and safety advice, or to contact us, log on to www.cambsfire.gov.uk. Sign up to email alerts and find us on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook or call 01480 444500